WordPress is the most popular blogging platform. It is because of its robust nature and its user-friendliness. More than 37% of the internet is using WordPress as their blogging platform. Not to forget, many popular websites are also using WordPress.
As it is growing fast it is also becoming the center of the eye for hackers. Hackers are also interested in hacking WordPress-based websites.
WordPress usually pushes updates to patch all the known vulnerabilities. Sometimes hackers also find those vulnerabilities in WordPress which helps them to hack the whole server. A lot of websites have been hacked in the past.
WordPress does have some pretty solid security measures. But, if you want to take that security to the next level you need to install a suitable WordPress security plugin. It protects your site from brute force attacks and regulates regular security scanning, monitoring, notifications, and malware attacks.
Here is a list of the best security plugins for WordPress in 2021. You can install a suitable plugin from the list to protect your site against security vulnerabilities.
If you are looking for a powerful and freemium WordPress security plugin for your website, you need to check out Sucuri Security. It is one of the popular security plugins used by millions of bloggers and WordPress-based businesses. This easy-to-use plugin can save your WordPress website from attacks and hacks.
The free version plugin is available on the WordPress plugins repository. And if you are looking for more security features, you need to get their premium version. The free version plugin comes with all the limited features.
The best feature we have liked inside the Sucuri Security plugin is the WordPress integrity option. When we/any plugins or attackers modify the WordPress core files, we can see the modified file inside the Sucuri dashboard. This way, we can remove it or mark it as admin edits. If you need help with something, you can always contact the support team.
- Popular – Sucuri is a popular brans in the website security indistry
- WAF protection – Web Application Firewall protection can help you prevent attacks
- SEO Spam Repair – if your website is affected by SEO spam, Sucuri can fix it
- DDoS attack protection – Sucuri will protect your site from DDoS
- Bad bot blocking – automatically block bad bots from accessing the website
- Geo blocking – if you need to block a specific region, you can do it
- Malware scanner – the malware scanner will automatically scan the website
- SSL certificate monitoring – as a security precaution, Sucuri will monitor the SSL certificate
- DNS monitoring – DNS monitoring will help you understand sudden changes
- Uptime monitoring – uptime monitoring is not a security feature. But it is a good feature
- Limited features on free version – you need to get the premium version for more features
When you prefer a stable security WordPress plugin with cutting-edge features, we have All In One WP Security & Firewall for you. On top of that, the plugin is well-supported. The plugin developers have added so many features to it so a user can take full control of his website’s security.
If you have no technical skills, no worries. The plugin divided the features into three categories.
You can configure the plugin according to your requirements and you are good to go. The plugin is 100% free and will not slow down your WordPress installation. Compared to most free WordPress security plugins available, this one got more features.
And in our case, we loved the password strength meter. While we type in a password, this meter will display its strength.
- Firewall protection – firewall protection for filtering the website traffic
- Disable trace and track – track and trace feature can be disabled using this plugin
- Block Google bots – deny Google bots from crawling the website
- Ban IP addresses – ban specific IP addresses from accessing the website
- Database security – take control of the whole database security
- File system security – multiple file system security for protecting your website
- Multilingual – the plugin can be translated to multiple languages
- Remove WordPress version – remove the WordPress version from the front end
- Export/import feature – you can easily import or export the plugin settings
- Remove WordPress meta information – from the HTML version page, you can remove the meta information
- Comment spam security – to protect your site from comment spam, the plugin got multiple securities
Nothing so far
If you prefer using a security plugin from a well-known brand, check iThemes Security. It is a famous premium WordPress plugin developed by iThemes (the same guys behind plugins like BackupBuddy, Restrict Content Pro, and so on).
iThemes Security pro will stop attacks automatically, protect our business while we are busy with other things. Plus, it can also take action when you are not around. By blocking bad bots, you can prevent spam and provide a secure environment.
The development team integrated an advanced dashboard into the plugin. So, every actions, issues and fixes can be found inside the plugin’s dashboard.
- Strong password enforcement – you can force users to use a strong password
- Bad users lock out – you can lock the bad users from accessing the website
- Database backup – run backups of the backup and you can store it on the local storage
- 404 detection – detect 404 not found pages using the plugin and fix it
- Bruteforce protection – protect the server from bruteforce attacks
- Two factor authentication – for additional security layer, use the two factor authrntication feature
- Remote controlling – from the iThemes sync option, you can manage multuple websites from the same dashboard
- Automatic vulnatibility patching – if the current theme, plugin or core have security issues, the plugin will update them to the latest version
- Email alerts – iThemes Security Pro will send email alerts when they find something suspicious
- Works with most mobile apps – the two factor option will work with almost every mobile apps
- No free version – there is no free version available
$This is an affiliate link
Wordfence Security is one of the most popular WordPress security plugins. It is simple with powerful tools such as robust login security features and the security incident recovery tools. The free plugin comes with important features like web application firewall, malware scanner, and protection from brute attacks, hacking, malicious traffic.
The plugin will automatically scan your website for common threats, and you can also launch a full scan at any time. Also, the plugin monitors live traffic by viewing Google crawl activity, logins and logouts, human visitors, and bots.
WordFence also has an extensive database of offending websites and IP addresses, which are atomically blocked from accessing your site. The comment spam filter removes the need to install a separate plugin for this.
BulletProof Security WordPress plugin gives total justice to its name. It is like a bulletproof jacket. Its IP-based Firewall protects your website against RFI, XSS, CRLF, SQL injection, and code injection hackings.
This plugin comes with a one-click setup wizard. After the setup, it AutoFixes everything (AutoWhitelist | AutoSetup | AutoCleanup).
It has some unique advanced security tools in the market, with features like
- BPS Pro ARQ intrusion detection and prevention system (ARQ IDPS) encrypting solutions
- Scheduled crons
- Hidden plugin folder, files cron (HPF)
- Idle session logout (ISL)
- The anti-exploit guard and
- The online Base64 decoder
It also scans the .htaccess file for malicious codes that may affect website speed and security.
The BulletProof Security has got a pro version with added features as well. The pro version has options to allow developers to create a “503 under maintenance” page while the website is under construction.
VaultPress is a real-time backup and security scanning WordPress plugin. It is designed and built by Automattic. VaultPress makes it easy to keep an up-to-date backup of your site. It does this daily and syncs all your WordPress content in real-time.
It makes sure that your site is safe, by performing comprehensive security scans every day. This makes it easy to review for any potentially dangerous files or any suspicious changes to your WordPress installation.
It provides FTP or SSH information, and also it can automatically restore any backup to your site with just a few clicks. For any dangerous threats, It will automatically fix your site and notify you with the details. It defends against malware and is partnered with Akismet, the industry-leading spam protection service for WordPress.
You can also contact the experts from VaultPress to help you out with tasks like site restores and backups.
$This is an affiliate link
Jetpack is an all in one plugin. It has an Intuitive and powerful customization tool, hassle-free hundreds of professional themes for any kind of site. There are so many features in it that definitely worth exploring.
Its security and data services protect your website from
- Brute force attacks,
- Spam filtering,
- Downtime monitoring,
- Malware scanning,
- Code scanning,
- And automated threat resolution.
It has a secure login feature with optional two-factor authentication. It keeps a record of every change and update on your site.
Jetpack is not just restricted to security plugins but also eliminates the need for other plugins. It has features for email marketing, social media sharing, site customization, and optimization.
The premium plans make the plugin into more of a suite, with benefits like backups, spam protection, and security scanning plugin. The updates are managed entirely through Jetpack.
$This is an affiliate link
SecuPress is a new addition to the WordPress security plugins list with rapid growth in the market. It has both free and premium versions. The best feature about secupress is its intuitive UI, which makes it incredibly easy to setup and use. It has an anti-spam system which works quietly in the background.
The plugin has packs of 7 anti-disclose security modules. These modules make sure that no important information is available for hackers in your PHP or WordPress itself.
This plugin also protects your security keys and blocks visits from bad bots. You will be usually paying for these features in other security plugins. But it is free in Secupress.
SecuPress preserves your data to help you avoid losing content or settings if your website comes under attack. The premium version adds a lot of value.
Two Factor Authentication is highly secured and easy to use with a strong password. It adds a second layer of protection to your WordPress website.
This plugin has Multiple Login Options such as Username + password + two-factor or Username + two-factor. These options are important because the majority of hacking attempts happen within the login.
In addition to your regular password, this plugin can send a push notification to your phone. You can also use a QR code or a security question or OTP etc.
You can choose which two-factor authentication method is the easiest for you. Also, you can choose which user roles need to go through this authentication process. The plugin has RBA & Trusted Devices Management Add-on Features for IP restrictions, Short Codes Add-on Features, and Personalization Add-on Features.
The pro version allows you to protect more accounts and to use enterprise pro features.
Security Ninja is simple to use a WordPress plugin. It has been securing websites for over 7 years.
It checks your site for any security vulnerabilities and deals with brute-force attacks on the user’s account. The plugin also tests the password strength and takes preventive measures against these attacks.
The plugin performs over 50 security tests ranging from checking files to MySQL permissions and various PHP settings. It scans WordPress core files to ensure the integrity of the core files by comparing them to a secure and latest copy and also searches for suspicious code and malware in plugins and themes. It has two versions free and premium.
Hide My WP is a very popular security plugin for WordPress since its inception in 2013. When an attacker comes to know that a website is WordPress-based, the attack becomes very targeted by enumerating plugins, themes, and the configuration of that specific installation.
The primary use case of this product is that it completely hides the fact that you are using WordPress as your CMS. This helps in securing the websites from hackers and detectors like Wappalyzer and Builtwith.
It also bundles a state-of-the-art intrusion detector (IDS) to block security attacks like SQL injection, XSS, etc in real-time. The IDS is based on ever-growing signatures which block any attack (discovered or undiscovered) which may harm the website.
Some best features of the Hide My WP plugin are:
- Hides WordPress from detectors and hackers. Hides the name of the theme, plugin, changes permalinks, hides wp-admin, login URL and a lot more
- Blocks direct access to PHP files, cleanup WP class names, disable directory listing
- Protects websites from undiscovered vulnerabilities and realtime attacks
- Be notified about any potential bad behavior with full details of attacker including username, IP address, date, etc
- Includes a trusted network which automatically blocks traffic from bad source IP addresses
- Replaces complete URLs or any string in the code with any text you wish
- Easy to use, choose from pre-made settings for the 1-click deployment
- Compatible with multi-site, apache, Nginx, IIS, premium themes and other security plugins
$This is an affiliate link
When you run an online business, you need to spend time and money on the security essentials. Normally, a good WordPress security plugin will take care of the job for you. And in this article, we have listed the best 10 security plugins you can use on your WordPress site.
On top of that, make sure that you are using a security plugin that’s updated. Using outdated plugins is not good. You can also try to hide the WordPress admin URL for better security. It will keep unauthorized users away from the admin page.
The free version plugins will give you basic features. When you are running an online shop or something similar, you need to spend money on the premium version resources.
We hope you have found this article helpful and enjoyed the read. If you did, please share this article with your fellow bloggers. It will help them to choose the best security plugins for WordPress.
Related Articles You Might Like:
- Best WordPress Translation Plugins For Your Website (Compared)
- 9 Best Newsletter Plugins You Need to Try Now
- Start Your Own Affiliate Program: Here’s the Best 6 Plugins
- Best WordPress Push Notification Plugins You Can Try
- Best WordPress Contact Form Plugins You Can Use
Did you find the article useful?
Then pin me to your Pinterest Board, so that more people will find me
(Remember: The more you give to the Universe, the more you will get from the Universe)So, Pin me
Enter your Email Address below and be the FIRST to receive our Blogging Tips.